Friday, May 11, 2018

Mother’s Day. A day of prayer.



Two years ago we celebrated Mother’s Day with the death of our Mom. Many of you won’t understand that. How can you celebrate in the middle of grief? How can you commemorate Mother’s Day when Mom is no longer with you? How can you ever get over losing someone so close to you?

It is true it has been two years and there are still times I wish I could pick up the phone and share my accomplishments, my pain and my gripes, but mostly my gripes. Mom would patiently listen to my griping about my boss, about my sore back, about my forgetfulness, about traffic, about our unruly puppies, then she would laugh, adding, “it only gets worse.” Thanks Mom. You really know how to encourage. But, she was right. She usually was.

Traffic has gotten worse. Aches and pains have increased. Our newest puppies do not mind better. And yes I am more…What was I saying?

I may remember on Mother’s Day how much I miss her. I may be reminded of her when my cell phone rings, or the roast comes out of the oven (her recipe), or I get mad at the driver in front of me on the road yet what I remember best is what makes Mother’s Day so special now. This Sunday when we go to church, someone will pray. Prayer reminds me more of Mom than a pink Azalea, a Blue Jay, a little black MG, or an episode of M.A.S.H.

That is what makes her death so cherished to me. She taught me how to pray. More importantly she taught me why to pray. Mom set aside 3 main prayer times during her day. In the morning she would thank God for all He does. This included:

Another day, breathing (something that comes hard every second with Emphazema, Asthma, Chronic Bronchitis), her family. her church, her friends, her life, God’s provision…this went on for an hour at times.

Mid-afternoon she would pray for others, those who asked her to pray for them, people others asked her to pray for (people called her constantly to add __________ to her list). This could take a long time as each prayer included details of the person being prayed for and usually led to the person who asked for her to pray. This time was not about her. It was for others.

At the end of the evening, as she lay down, she would thank God for the day and add any new prayers but mostly she begged His forgiveness for where she had failed Him today. Usually at this point she would fall asleep, content in His forgiveness.

You might wonder what an 80 year old woman who spent her day in prayer for others, focusing on their needs would have to ask forgiveness for. Her evening prayers consisted of asking forgiveness for lost opportunities mostly. “I forgot to thank that kind man who helped me with my groceries today.”

Don’t get me wrong, I could choose to remember how she corrected me when I was wrong or made me come home earlier than other Mom’s did. I could dredge up things she did that hurt me or stay focused on times when she got angry. But, I won’t. I refuse to do that.

Mom wasn’t perfect. As I got older, I had the privilege to get to know her as an adult. What an honor. Best memories? Easter Sunrise service at Brother Bryan Park, my prayer for snow New Year’s eve 1964…(she said you can’t pray selfishly like that)…second worst snowstorm in Birmingham’s history…and praying with her at her apartment.

How awesome to hear my Mom going to the Father, for me. She had done it thousands of times before. She was practiced at praying for others. My prayer is she passed this passion for prayer on to all her family and friends.

Thanks Mom. Love you! See you soon.

jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment