Friday, June 15, 2018

How My Father-in-law taught me to pick up chicks…
Reminiscing on father’s day brings me to think fondly of my dad driving me to junior high in a dune buggy or taking my friends and I to the races at Talladega. My dad also taught me many things, how to work hard, how to be a good friend and how to enjoy life by doing what you love to do. I followed his lead. No, I absolutely did not become a mechanic. I lived much of my life as a landscaper. I love plants but I found myself more and more talking to my customers not about the black leaves on their Crape Myrtles but about the blackness in our hearts.
But what I think of most on Father’s Day is how my father-in-law taught me to pick up chicks. Don’t laugh too hard. This system works. It is 100% guaranteed. I owe it all to Aubrey Tarpley.
When we moved down to Gulf Shores, my wife’s parents bought a house near us in a retirement community that has an assisted living facility on site. They were thinking ahead. You see my mother-in-law had an accident years earlier and along with Rheumatoid Arthritis suffered to the point of barely being able to get around. Soon they moved into an assisted living apartment where my father-in-law was seen kindly, gently, lovingly and respectfully helping her do everything. Everything.
His focus, at least for the last five years of her life was on her. His goals, his dreams, his adventures were put aside as he lived to encourage, uplift and love her, making her days and nights as pleasant as possible.
The staff, residents and visitors to the assisted living facility noticed. At Jean’s funeral and especially afterward I noticed an odd thing. The women flocked to Aubrey like starving bees to honey. I watched in shock as they actually lined up to console him, offering their assistance in any way. Hugging him, holding his hand even kissing his cheek they fawned over him.
I was so jealous. Not only the octogenarian residents of the upscale facility but the young nurses and friends of the family were eager to do anything they could to help him in his grief.
Don’t get me wrong I am very happy in our marriage and our lives recently have leaned in the same direction since my wife’s stroke. But I learned my lesson quickly and thoroughly. Before marriage dating was all about me and in fact much of the first half of our marriage was too. However, I am slowly learning to be as good and kind and loving and respectful as my father-in-law was.
On Father’s Day memories flood back. Memories of commitment, perseverance, dedication taught to me by the two fathers God gave me. Each in their own way pointing me toward the Father who loved me the most. The one Who died for me. You or someone you know struggles with their father or their attitude toward him. This provides a great opportunity to talk to them about their Father. We have resources available and we are willing to walk with you this Father’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment